What is Telehealth?
Telehealth is a visit through video chat or a phone call with your provider (Doctor, Nurse Practitioner, Behavioral Health Clinician or Psychiatrist.) It is easy, confidential, and covered by many insurance plans.
A telehealth visit can give you the care you need and save you a trip into the health center.
All existing Generations patients are eligible for a telehealth appointment if you have had at least one in-person visit at the health center within the past 12 months.
How telehealth works
- When you call for an appointment, staff will ask if you would prefer to come into the office or schedule a telehealth visit. Your appointment will be scheduled.
- If a telehealth appointment is scheduled, staff will ask your permission to select email, text, or both as your preferred method(s) of contact.
- On the day of your appointment, staff will call you 15 minutes prior to your scheduled appointment time. The staff member will tell you when the provider will contact you by phone or video to start your visit.
Note: Some insurance companies will not pay for a phone visit without video. Please check with your insurance company before scheduling an appointment by phone only.
At your telehealth appointment:
- On the day of your appointment, your Physician, Nurse Practitioner, Clinician, or Psychiatrist will call you for a phone visit or send you a link for a video chat.
- If your visit is a video visit, Generations staff will ask how you would like to receive the link to turn on the video chat (options are via email or text.)
- The patient will be prompted by their phone or computer to allow access to their camera and microphone. You must say yes to both questions.
- You will then be connected and can begin your video visit.
Tips/frequently asked questions
Can I join from anywhere?
Yes! As long as you have access to Wi-Fi or data.
Is my visit private/secure?
Yes. The video service is a HIPAA-secure connection. Please make sure you are in a private place for the call or video visit.
Are interpretation services available for a telehealth visit?
Yes. Please discuss with Generations staff when scheduling your visit.
What devices can I use?
You can use your smartphone (such as a Google/Samsung Android or iPhone), tablet (such as an iPad or Surface), or computer as long as there is a microphone and camera.
What else do I need to know?
- Be sure to check your internet connection.
- Use headphones or make sure you’re in a quiet area. This will keep your visit private.
NOTE: The following Internet Search Engines are recommended: Chrome and Safari work best. Firefox and Edge/Explorer do not consistently work as well.
Hold tight! Sometimes we can run behind, just like in the office